|ENGINEERING / FIELD SERVICE
|ASIA/ BRUNEI/ KUALA BELAIT
|FAVELLE FAVCO 7.5/10K
‘CIC-Alatas’ – our joint venture in Brunei recently completed the replacement of the slew bearing on our client’s Favelle Favco 7.5/10k pedestal crane. This was the first time the slew bearing had been replaced and as such a full scheme had to be designed, manufactured, and the project delivered as a complete turn-key package.
This was the first of two cranes that need to have their slew bearings replaced using a jacking system and as such Alatas offered a modular design solution where +75% of components were interchangeable between the different crane configurations.
‘CIC-Alatas’ has an operations and maintenance contract with our customer that covers over 80 offshore cranes. Each crane has a 6-year comprehensive refurbishment as part of the maintenance strategy delivery. Because the slew bearing on this crane had never been replaced before, the customer decided to replace it with a new one, allowing for a fresh datum of its state to be obtained for use in a redesigned maintenance strategy with a greater focus on condition monitoring.
Alatas’ solution was to provide a complete turn-key solution utilizing multi-office working together to ensure a high quality and efficient service to the client.
- CIC-Alatas engineering team completed the initial site survey of the crane to gather crucial information to allow the design process to be completed.
- Alatas UK design team developed the jacking system solution.
- Alatas Singapore fabricated the jacking system’s structural components.
- Alatas Indonesia supplied the specialist jacking console and hydraulic cylinders.
- CIC-Alatas engineering team produced the detailed work packs and RAMS.
- CIC-Alatas engineers and field service techs completed the full onshore trials and offshore delivery of the project.
Jacking Frame Design
- Review crane data and select the most suitable jacking method
- 3D Model Crane
- Design Jacking Frame around the design and dimensions of the crane Pedestal and Chassis
- Check Stress Valves using predicted loads
- Design a skidding frame to allow efficient replacement of slew bearing
Jacking Frame Fabrication
- Establish ITP and Quality Plans
- Fabricate Jacking Frame
- Supply of all Fixings
- NDT and Testing
- Provision of Manufacturing Record Book and Certification Pack
Jacking Frame Construction
- Manage construction of Access and Load Bearing Scaffolding
- Lift Plan and Rigging for lifting Jacking Frame Components into position
- Assemble and Test the Jacking System
- Pre and Post NDT of Welds
Slew Bearing Changeout
- Disconnect and Remove of Slip Ring
- Remove both Slew Motors, Brake Packs, and Gearboxes
- Remove Slew Bolts
- Controlled Trial Lift to determine the Centre of Gravity
- Jack Up Crane
- Check Pedestal Flatness using Laser and provide a condition report
- Remove Old Slew Bearing and Install New Slew Bearing
- Jack Crane Back Down
- Install and Tension Inner and Outer Slew Bolts (Rotabolts)
- Re-Connect Slip Ring
- Full Visual Inspection
- Backlash, Rocking Motion, and Teeth Flank Contact Check completed
- Function Test
- Load Test using water bags and load cell