Alatas Service: Field Service
Manufacturer: Clarke Chapman
Equipment: Ship Unloader
An Alatas Field Service team took on this Clarke Chapman ship unloader repairs project for a port in the UK. The client’s Clarke Chapman ship unloader (built in 1972), required structural work to the hanger stays.
Hanger stays support the horizontal boom structure during loading operations but had was no longer working to the standard required.
Through our Engineering Services, Alatas provided an alternative solution to replacing the hanger stays, saving time and costs.
Job Scope for Clarke Chapman Ship Unloader Repairs
- Verification engineering to ensure the structural integrity was restored from the repair
- Draughting and reverse engineering of the pins as the information available was unclear and there were some undocumented modifications
- Procurement manufacturing of the material including pins and bushes
- Rope access used due to the flexible nature and to save time with scaffolding
- Line boring and welding which was verified by the engineering team to restore the bores
- Mechanical handling as no crane access was available, this meant in-depth lifting plans were required to execute the project