|Alatas Service||Engineering, Field Service|
|Crane Type||Grain Export Shiploader|
|Equipment Type||Shiploader Luffing Cylinder|
Alatas UK was tasked with a shiploader luffing cylinder changeout for a grain export shiploader at a UK port. This changeout of the cylinder is a continuation of a larger job renewing the machine hydraulic components to extend the operating life cycle of the machine.
This specific work segment included an initial survey and preparations where information and measurements were taken and handed to our Engineering and Design team. They created concept and detail designs and the fabrication of structural support struts. Following this stage, the Alatas UK network designed and fabricated bespoke pin pulling equipment before mobilising the necessary equipment and personnel to carry out the changeout. The Alatas team also supplied the replacement components required and commissioned and tested the machine after the work.
How we performed the Shiploader Luffing Cylinder Changeout
The luffing structure is supported by a vertical central cylinder, and at a pivot connection to the rear of the shiploader machine. Without the cylinder, the structure would not remain in place. The cylinder pin had also been in place for several years and there was doubt when considering removal.
Support struts required were designed and fabricated to support the boom structure’s weight facilitating the removal of the cylinder. Pin-pulling equipment was also designed and supplied to assist with removal of the cylinder pin.
- Design support struts and pin pulling equipment
- Analysis of existing strut tie-ins
- Fabrication and mobilisation of equipment to site
- Mobilisation of workforce
- Equipment setup, installation of supports, strip-down of hydraulic system and ancillaries
- Removal of the main pin
- Support and lifting of cylinder
- Installation of new cylinder
- Re-instatement of components, hydraulics and ancillaries.
- Commissioning and testing of the shiploader