|Alatas Service||Field Service|
|Equipment Type||Ship Crane|
|Equipment Specifications||Wire Rope Luffing Deck Crane 30t x 28m|
Alatas Middle East attended our client’s vessel upon her arrival into Fujairah, UAE, contracted with structural boom repairs to a luffing deck crane. The Crane Number 4, a 30t x 28m Mitsubishi wire rope luffing deck crane, required work after the boom came into contact with the boom rest of Crane Number 3 during a routine inspection and maintenance of the cranes by the vessel’s crew.
Alatas Worldwide Engineering, stationed in Houston, provided a comprehensive repair procedure to the Alatas Middle East team, which Class NK approved before the vessel arrived in Fujairah. The procedure included complete boom repair with material specifications, risk assessment and method statements.
To minimise downtime to the vessel’s operations, our engineers proposed to perform the repairs in situ rather than removing the boom completely. After the repair was completed by our Alatas Middle East Field Service team, they also performed the load testing of the crane Mitsubishi luffing deck crane with their load testing equipment from our Middle East station.
All the steps taken by Alatas Middle East and Houston are shown below. If you require our Merchant Shipping expertise for your operations, in the UAE or worldwide, don’t hesitate to Contact Us.
- Preparation of the repair procedure and submitting to Class NK for approval.
- Sourcing and bending of the material within the local Middle Eastern market.
- Attend site and meet with vessel representatives and insurance surveyor to discuss the work scope and time frame.
- Full inspection of deck crane with hydraulic pressure checks.
- Function test the crane and set the limit switches.
- Load test the crane to +5t of the SWL.
- Post NDT of the welds.
- Sign-over back to the client.