Alatas Service: Field Service
Model: GLB 3028-2/2428GR deck crane
Alatas Singapore completed this MacGregor boom hinge change out for a cargo vessel.
Our team of Field Specialists arrived aboard with the necessary documentation for the hot work that was required.
The Alatas Specialists led a toolbox talk and consultation with the Captain and Chief Engineer to discuss the Job Scope and risk assessment.
Job Scope for MacGregor boom hinge change out
- Hot work permit granted at 12:00h
- Park the crane on the boom rest and slacken hoisting and luffing wire rope
- Erection of the scaffolding at left side boom hinge area was arranged
- Set up the rigging equipment at the specified lifting points and preparation of tools
- Verification of spare parts on board which had been arranged by owners
- Heat the sides of the pin in order to remove rusted particles and paints.
- Weld a jacking nut at centre of the pin and weld pad eyes to secure the boom hinge assembly with rigging gears
- Jack out of the pin @ 400 bar
- Remove boom hinge mounting bolts using torque multiplier
- Bring down the hinge pin and left side boom hinge bearing assembly
- Strip out the boom hinge bearing assembly and carry our cleaning work
- Assemble bearing housing assembly with following owner supplied spares:
Bearing Housing Assembly: Part No: 3,4,5,6,9,10,11 and 12.Brought up the bearing housing assembly.
- Installed the boom hinge and pin with following owner supplied spares
Jib Bearing Assembly: Part No. : 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Install new boom hinge mounting bolts and torqued the mounting bolts using with torque multiplier (60.75 Nm by torque wrench x 26 by the multiplier = 1580 Nm).
- Grease the pin was carried out and confirmed that the boom hinge has properly greased by confirming grease comes out the boom hinges
- Applied following torque values:
Part #6: 235 Nm
Part #10: 235 Nm
Boom mounting bolts 1580 Nm)
- Remove the rigging equipment and pad eye on the boom hinge
- Test crane #1 boom up/down and no abnormal sound was observed from the boom hinge bearing.