|Alatas Service||Field Service, Load Testing|
|Crane Model||GL 4528-2S|
This load testing of MacGregor deck cranes was for a container vessel is equipped with 3x GL 4528-2S deck cranes with a capacity of SWL 45t at 28m radius. The vessel was scheduled for its 5 Yearly Cargo Gear Survey and overload testing was required with a proof load of 50T (proof load = SWL + 5T).
Alatas Singapore was called to carry out the annual lifting gear survey and to arrange a 50T waterbag test and conduct the overload test at Singapore anchorage.
Our class certified crane inspector however noted a damaged hoisting rope on Crane-1 and that it had to be changed before the load test. Alatas arranged it’s rigging team along with rigging equipment and rope stand and carried out the wire rope change-out.
Alatas then carried out the load test, including issuing the load test certificate and detailed load test protocol. Alatas’ multi-disciplined crane service engineer and class approved crane inspector delivered the job scope below, including the marine crane load testing and recertification.
Job Scope for Load Testing of MacGregor Deck Cranes
- Pre inspection of crane structure, ropes, sheaves & blocks
- Testing and adjusting of crane machinery and safeties, such as:
Electric, electronic and hydraulic overload protection equipment
Verifying safe load indicators for rated & actual load indication, radius indication and correct alarm settings
- Setting up the crane for overload testing, including bypassing of overload protection systems
- Conducting the load test as per Alatas’ load test protocol and checklist
- Recording of crane parameters, such as pressures for SWL and Proof Load
- Resetting all safeties to SWL to ensure the crane is fully overload protected
- Taking samples of the hydr. oil to carry out oil analysis
- Measuring axial clearance of slewing bearings (Rocking Test) and taking samples of the slewing bearing grease to carry out a ferrography grease analysis
- If required: Issue ILO 152 Form 2 and endorse the cargo gear logbook
- Issue a picture report with a summary of findings and recommendations, complete with Load Test Certificate and Load Test Protocol
- Nr. Crane SWL x Radius Proof Load
- Crane 1: 45T x 28M 50.0 T (Waterbag)
- Crane 2: 45T x 28M 50.0 T (Waterbag)
- Crane 3: 45T x 28M 50.0 T (Waterbag)
- Crane 4 (Aft) 10T x 22M 12.5 T (Pull Load Test)